Saturday, May 26, 2007

Why are Filipinos most skeptical of globalization

According to the Social Weather Stations, most people surveyed in 18 countries believe that globalization is mostly good for most people. This is quite an eye-opener - all along I thought most people were, at the very least, wary of globalization.

The highest "approval ratings", as it were, for globalization are found - unshockingly - in China and South Korea. Export-dependent countries both. (Goes to show you the legendary antiglobalist Korean hotheads demonstrating in every possible ocassion, are not quite representative of their countrymen.)

Interestingly, the lowest approval rating is in the Philippines. Perhaps it's the level of education - after all, it's the Philippines and India who are least approving of globalization.

However the result for the Philippines, despite low educational level of the population, should still be surprising. After all, 1 in 5 Filipino workers is employed overseas. Does the export of labor turn the remaining citizenry off of globalization, unlike the export of goods? I conjecture, "yes." The export of labor is attended with great ambivalence, from which the export of goods is spared. The latter separates the worker from the labor (which is then embodied in the product) - the product then undergoes the slings and arrows of xenophobia, while the worker takes off at five o'clock and goes - home.

Of course I'd be the last to oppose free market choices to migrate. But I'd be the first to admit - yes, my ambivalence.

Bayan ko, nahan ka
Ako ngayo'y nag-iiisa
Nais kong magbalik
Sa iyo, bayan ko
Patawarin mo ako
Kung ako'y nagkamali
Sa landas na aking
Tinahak

(My country, where are you?
I am now alone.
I wish to return to you, my country.
Forgive me,
If I have erred
In the way
I have taken. )

2 comments:

Amadeo said...

Taking into account the margin of error, mostly good ratings for all regions appear on a dead heat, except for Visayas

And even true with the different economic classes. Very revealing, indeed.

But only 1200 samples from widely-scattered and thus diverse areas?

Unknown said...

1200 samples? Did the study use stratified random sampling? Anyways, the Philippine Islands, IMHO, needs internal work done before stepping onto the global stage. I am from the outside looking in: American born Pinoy. What I know of the P.I. depresses me because it seems like the country is being torn apart by interests that do NOT have the Philippine country in mind. Look at my country the US, we now have a better agreement than before Pinatubo with the Philippines. We can have our Marines and sailors "stationed" there without having to give much back in terms of economic prosperity.
Cities that were known as sex-tour stops are still KNOWN as that. Do Filipinos living at home feel angry at outside interests enough to do something about it?